Feng shui advice is based on a philosophical system that is increasingly popular in the West. It is an ancient Chinese practice that is approximately 3,000 years old. although today it is prohibited in the people’s republic, the tradition is deeply rooted in almost all states of Southeast Asia.
Its philosophy proclaims as a central axis the harmony between the inhabited space and the people, so that it is in tune with the flow of vital energy or chi. There are many schools or variants of the practice, although today we will try to group all of these with the following feng shui tips for your workspace.
Reading: Feng shui oficina
feng means ‘wind’ and shui ‘water’. the remodeling of areas, the distribution of objects, the use of certain colors and orientation based on the cardinal points are just some of the improvements that you can implement to tune your space with this Chinese philosophy.
how could feng shui improve our office?
Much has been written for and against feng shui. its followers affirm that the system generates a positive impact on a day-to-day basis, while its detractors say that it is just a pseudoscience with no practical value.
a scientific study published in 2012, the first of its kind, revealed that subjective appreciation greatly influences the positive results achieved through the implementation of this philosophy.
The effects generated are closely related to the so-called environmental psychology. Popularized in the second half of the 20th century, it studies the influence of physical space on human beings. it is an interdisciplinary science that takes into account elements of architecture, sociology, anthropology, engineering and other areas.
Apart from other criteria, such as salary, an organized environment with low levels of stress improves job satisfaction, prosperity and performance. The feng shui tips that we will give you today precisely help you achieve these goals.
In summary, although feng shui by itself lacks scientific solidity, the subjective appreciation added to an improvement in the distribution of the work environment positively affects the way you perform in your work. Less stress, less tension, and a motivating attitude are some of the things that come with it.
8 feng shui tips for your office
The time has come for us to present you the best feng shui tips for your office. We have taken into account criteria of the traditional school, but also of other more recent ones that contribute to generating that harmony that you so much need. take note of each of them.
1. say goodbye to messy areas
See also: Ms. Feng Shui | Feng Shui Fame / Reputation
If something characterizes feng shui, it is that it doesn’t get along very well with clutter. in fact, his system proclaims the opposite: the organization of the emerging space brings benefits in terms of people’s prosperity.
You cannot, therefore, implement this philosophy without first saying goodbye to the disorder that prevails in your work area. The following precepts will be useful to you:
- remove unused items from your desk: if they are useless or very old, consider throwing them away.
- get rid of things that give you negative energy: can be anything from a pen to a folder. this also applies to anything that is associated with a negative experience in the past.
- make space on the floor: many people tend to accumulate things on the floor to avoid cluttering the desk . feng shui advocates the free flow of chi, something that is not possible if the energy has nowhere to circulate.
- fix the shelf or bookcase: a corner with some folders cluttered rooms or a couple of poorly stacked books can ruin the harmony. focus on each square meter being perfectly organized.
You should focus, then, on each point that is part of your work environment. if your office is at home, you must completely condition the area; if you work in a company cubicle, adapt it.
2. place your workspace away from the entrance
The second thing you will do is move your desk or work area away from the entrance to the office. Experts call this putting yourself in a position of power, so that you have visual as well as operational control of what goes in and out of your zone of harmony.
Has it ever happened to you that someone surprises you when entering? Or unexpectedly interrupt you while you’re in the middle of something? well, with this you minimize this from happening and you will be the one to control the situation. remember then: the desk far away and always facing the door when you sit down.
3. create a backup behind you
To encourage this, place a backrest between the wall and the desk. this will create greater protection for you, in tune with the black turtle of Chinese tradition. you can choose several things, but we suggest the following:
- a high, comfortable and spacious chair: to serve as a symbolic back wall against negative energies, envy and betrayal. avoid low chairs or those that convey little vigor or energy.
- a solid wall: if the layout of the space allows it, place your desk immediately behind a solid wall. this should be tall, light or rich in color and emulate a fortress.
- plants or curtains: if you cannot secure any of the above, then a row of plants or some curtains will have the same effect.
This is one of the feng shui tips that you cannot ignore. you don’t have to invest a lot of money for it. keep it low profile, minimalist and opt for what you already have on hand.
4. includes the 5 feng shui elements
if you don’t already know, an important part of feng shui is based on the balance and energy generated by the elements. tradition considers these 5:
- fire: considered the most powerful. It is related to energy, power, passion and audacity. red objects or candles symbolize this element.
- water: embodies fluidity, inspiration and emotions. blue fonts or objects represent it very well.
- earth: synonymous with strength and stability, but also with balanced energy. you can include it in your workspace through rocks, brown tones and textures that symbolize it (such as old books or rugs).
- metal: it is the element that unites everyone else; it represents order and concentrated energy. coins or gray objects are a good substitute for your desk or bookshelf.
- wood: embodies growth, moving and active energy. for this reason it is related to creativity. a solid wood table or plants are an excellent choice to complete the area.
keep in mind that the intention is to seek a balance between these, both in size and number. make a count of how many you have for each element, so you will know if you have to remove one to achieve stability in the energy balance. all 5 must be present to operate according to the philosophy system.
5. opt for natural light and decorate with plants
natural light and oxygen are two great allies so that chi can flow naturally. if you have a window nearby, open it so that the office receives lighting through it. If this is not possible, replace fluorescent bulbs with light spectrum incandescents.
See also: Best [15 Remedies]: How To Fix Bad Feng Shui Directions
To further accentuate the sense of flow consider installing a wind chime. We also achieve this by decorating with air purifying plants. allow the oxygen you breathe to be purified, so that your chi more easily reaches that harmony we are looking for.
6. scent your workspace
Most people associate feng shui with essential oils and frankincense. Pleasant aromas are important for energy to flow freely; in part because they help calm anxiety, stress and accumulated tension from the workday.
You can use lemon, peppermint, lavender, or cinnamon essential oils. we do not seek to impregnate the entire office with these fragrances, especially if other colleagues share the same space.
balance is important; check with them if the intensity of the aroma is very intense, if it bothers them or if they tolerate a certain odor better.
7. choose some objects that are important to your life
We have already made it clear that philosophy does not go well with disorder. Since we already have a couple of items on our desktop, we don’t want to clutter it even more. however, it is important that we incorporate an object that is an indicator of something important in your life.
It can be an element that symbolizes your prosperity, your goals, your family, your beliefs or philosophy of life. It doesn’t have to be big or flashy, but it should be there to act as a motor during business hours. a photograph, a piggy bank or a note are some things you can use.
8. create a corner of peace
To complement all of the above, design a small temple in one corner of the room that represents peace and relaxation. it doesn’t have to be overloaded; You can go for a minimalist style as long as you take into account one or more feng shui elements.
This corner can be made up of a plant, a sculpture, a natural crystal or fragrances. it must be the focus of attention when you enter the room, as well as be in plain sight of your desk so that its energies invade you.
apply the tips of feng shui for the work environment without fear
By applying these feng shui tips you can completely renovate your office space for the benefit of your chi. If you are a follower of a specific school or do not know how to carry out some of these recommendations, you can hire the services of a specialized professional.
This will guide you through the transformation step by step and help you translate it into your home and daily life. remember that feng shui is a philosophy and you must take it into account in every aspect so that you can benefit from it properly. It won’t be long before you reap the harvest of what has been sown with their help.