benefits of feng shui principles for interior design
Although today feng shui is often dismissed as a pseudoscience, it is recognized as a harmonious technique for design and promotes well-being. the term feng shui translates to wind and water and the principles are based on balancing energy levels and promoting good energy, si chi. Proper use of color, light, space, and the placement of objects or furniture can help build levels of harmony and manipulate energy flow. In many ways, interior designers will appreciate that all of these factors really do impact what is known as the “feel” or ambiance of any room.
Homes, offices and interior spaces created with feng shui principles can be much more pleasant and resonate with positive energy forces. one of the main goals of feng shui is to create positive vibes in every area, so this could be one of the reasons people find feng shui interiors so pleasing. Understanding that all areas of the environment promote positivity means focusing attention on the garage and yard as well as popular areas like the kitchen and living room.
Reading: Feng shui designer
The front door or entrance to any interior is vital to good feng shui and should not be blocked or hindered in any way as this ensures good energy flow in any home. Clear viewpoints are also important to any good feng shui design, so designers must be careful to place furniture and objects with a low profile. this adds space and helps ensure positive energy flows are not blocked.
mental health and individual wellness are becoming watchwords in all areas of life and feng shui interior design creates the kind of space to promote wellness.
example of the use of feng shui in interior design projects
An example of the successful use of feng shui within a semi-detached property would initially involve an overall plan for the house and garden. the use of colors and patterns is important within feng shui design and it is important to continually keep in mind that “less is more”.
Colors such as earth and skin tones are popular in feng shui design, including creams, browns, deep pinks, or pale yellows. Different colors and shades can be used to create effective boundaries in open plan areas, while promoting the flow of positive energy.
When it comes to furniture placement, the following tips might help:
- a solid headboard should be used and should be placed against the wall
- sofas, beds and desk chairs should never face doors
- maintaining a balance between practicality and keeping aesthetics in mind at all times
- large pieces of art should not be placed over areas where people will lie down to relax, as it can cause feelings of anxiety and restlessness
- natural shapes and forms are key to feng shui design principles, so there should be no sharp edges on any furniture
- any artwork featured inside should convey positive and relaxing vibes and images that evoke feelings of sadness or pain should be avoided at all costs
Feng shui aims to slow down the flow of energy within interiors, so it is important to balance all objects and understand their placement in the room. bulky items should not be placed awkwardly or in front of windows.
positive feng shui designs can include:
- Bedroom plants and pink flowering plants enhance romance!
- Water features like fountains can boost positive energy levels
- mirrors can also be used for effective feng shui designs