Bamboo plants are considered very lucky and auspicious, according to vastu shastra as well as feng shui. Having bamboo plants at home and in the office is believed to bring good luck, wealth and fortune. Over a period of time, bamboo plants have been modified to be kept indoors as houseplants. today, bamboo plants are available in different sizes and varieties, from small-sized “friendship plants” where bamboo logs are stacked and tied with a red ribbon and placed in a glass vase full of stones, pebbles and water, even the largest ones. tall and thick stems and leaves. You can find a variety of lucky bamboo plants in gift shops as well as nurseries. Here, we break down everything you need to know about bamboo plants and where to place them around the house.
according to the principles of vastu shastra, the lucky bamboo plant should be placed in the east or southeast corner of the house.
Reading: Feng shui bamboo plant in bedroom
vastu for the bamboo plant at home: where to put the lucky bamboo plant at home?
- preferably keep the lucky bamboo plant in the east corner. you can keep the bamboo plant in the southeast area, if you want to attract wealth and fortune. it is believed that you can also get rid of financial problems and achieve prosperity, if you keep it in this corner.
- keep bamboo plants in the center of the dining table, to boost positive energy in the home and attract abundance.
- Bamboo plants can also be kept in bedrooms. Requiring minimal care and little sunlight, bedrooms are the perfect place to add a bamboo plant to the home to bring in some greenery.
- Lucky bamboo symbolizes growth, beginnings and family harmony. place it near the entrance of the home, to attract all these positive vibrations.
- bamboo plants also act as air purifiers and remove pollutants from the environment. they grow to heights of two to three feet and are easy to care for.
- avoid keeping the plant in direct sunlight.
see also: which tortoise is good for the home, to bring wealth and good luck?
benefits of the bamboo plant
The bamboo plant, which originated in Southeast Asia, is one of the easiest houseplants to care for. It is a type of tropical water lily plant that is widely preferred by people due to its benefits.
purifies the air
bamboo helps keep the environment clean as it is a natural air purifier. Bamboo helps keep the environment clean as it is a natural air purifier. the plant helps absorb carbon dioxide and produce oxygen. therefore, you can keep bamboo plants indoors in pots that remove harmful pollutants, including benzene. you can use it to decorate your living room and bedrooms.
attraction and positive vibes
The lucky bamboo plant is known to bring good luck and good fortune to the home. the plant adds greenery to your abode while attracting positive energies. Keeping the lucky bamboo at the entrance of the house is believed to bring wealth and prosperity to the home. it attracts money and wealth if it is kept in a southeasterly direction. The lucky bamboo plant is believed to create positive energy and security for homeowners.
brings good luck
Bamboo can be presented as a gift to friends and family on occasions such as a housewarming. place some bamboo stems and tie them with a red ribbon as a symbol of good luck. keep this plant as a decorative element in the home or office while attracting good fortune. the number four is considered unlucky. avoid placing bamboo in groups of four.
Arrange the bamboo in groups of eight or nine stems to invite good luck. a pair of bamboo stalks denotes love and a happy marital relationship, while three to six bamboo stalks ensure happiness in life.
easy to grow and maintain
Bamboo plants can be easily grown in directions where there is low, indirect light. The bamboo plant can survive for about a decade if it receives direct sunlight and pure water. Bamboo is a perennial and drought-resistant plant. can be grown in potting soil or any glass container filled with water. one need not think about over-watering or over-watering the plant.
helps maintain balance
The lucky bamboo plant helps to balance the five elements of nature, namely earth, wind, fire, water and wood. bamboo symbolizes the wood of the five elements of nature. You can keep the bamboo plant at home in water, tied with a red ribbon. Also, add some coins and pebbles in the container. it will help to achieve the balance of all the elements and will bring harmony.
improves home decor and aesthetic value
bamboo tree for home is useful, can be used for decorative purposes, including furniture. The long stems of the bamboo tree are also used for the construction of houses, roofs, floors, fences, pillars, bridges, etc. the stems of this plant add an attractive look to any style of home decor.
contains nutritional properties
The bamboo shoot has nutritional value that is among the significant benefits of the bamboo plant. It is rich in amino acids, fiber, phosphorus, magnesium, iron and other nutrients. Furthermore, the bamboo plant also has anti-inflammatory properties. people use fresh bamboo leaves to make tea, which is rich in silica and considered healthy. helps fight digestion problems, reduce bloating, purify the bloodstream and maintain cholesterol levels.
symbol of good health
The lucky bamboo plant brings good health to the whole family when placed in an easterly direction. The lucky bamboo plant brings good health to the whole family when placed in an easterly direction. bamboo plants also ensure good health. bamboo tree for home to get this benefit, according to vastu. place five bamboo stalks in a container. You can also grow seven stalks of bamboo, which represents good health.
While a lucky bamboo plant benefits you in many ways, proper care is essential. Proper placement of the lucky bamboo and regular maintenance will ensure that the plant brings good luck.
see also: all about vastu money plant
Benefits of lucky bamboo: why are bamboo plants considered so lucky?
Bamboo plants are considered lucky plants according to feng shui. according to feng shui, the hollow structure of the plant aids in the movement of chi energy. The bamboo plant is believed to aid in the movement of positive energy, in turn generating more abundance and prosperity. Aside from this, the pipe-like structure of the plant also signifies the wisdom of letting energy flow from within to the outside world, thus calming the mind and soul.
see also: all about vastu front door
lucky bamboo: fast facts
lucky bamboo plants for the home: how to place the plants?
If you plan to have lucky bamboo plants in your home or office, the number of stems should be selected with due care, as each arrangement has a specific purpose, according to feng shui. There are some traditional beliefs regarding the arrangement and placement of bamboo plants and they are believed to be most fruitful when diligently practiced.
Avoid giving a stack of four lucky bamboo plants, as it signifies a death wish.
See also: What Feng Shui Says About Plants in Your Bedroom – City Mattress
see also: renovate your home with plants that bring money and good luck
different lucky bamboo names
The lucky feng shui bamboo is the species of dracaena sanderiana. It belongs to the Asparagaceae family. Other names for this lucky houseplant are Chinese water bamboo, friendship bamboo, lucky curly bamboo, Belgian evergreen, goddess of mercy, and sander’s dracaena.
see also: vastu home water fountain: tips to bring positive energy
bamboo plant containers
Lucky bamboo can be grown in a shallow dish, a glass container, a jar, a tall vase (depending on the size of the bamboo), or also in porcelain and ceramic pots. if you opt for a shallow plate or bowl, make sure it has at least an inch of space around it for roots to spread out easily.
Ideally, keep your lucky bamboo plant in a clear container, so the roots are visible. In addition, this container must have the five elements: earth, metal, wood, water and fire.
This is an easy way to include these elements in the container:
- While bamboo doesn’t need a lot of water to survive, you can plant it however you choose. if you are planting it in water, the roots must remain covered with water. If you are going to plant it in the ground, it must remain moist, always. however, do not overwater.
see also: bamboo is the new steel
- do not keep a bamboo plant that has yellow or dark green stems. avoid using chlorinated water in the container. instead, use tap water that has more natural minerals. replenish fresh water every seven to 10 days to keep it healthy.
- Although bamboo plants are easy to nurture and very tolerant of the outside environment, you need to care for them properly. just a healthy-looking plant can bring positive energy and growth to your office and home.
- You can also use a liquid houseplant fertilizer once a month to keep pests away. always remove yellow leaves and return the bamboo to the pot as it outgrows the container.
lucky bamboo benefits according to feng shui
Choosing a lucky bamboo plant for the home provides the benefits of all five elements. arrangement plays a vital role in ensuring maximum benefits from the following items
meaning of lucky bamboo according to feng shui
Having bamboo plants in the home is believed to bring peaceful energy. It represents flexibility and freedom and hence people prefer to keep it in the office environment as well. The bamboo plant arrangement also represents the five elements of the earth, the foundation of a harmonious universe.
see also: broad tips for positive energy in the home
lucky bamboo: how to grow the plant from cuttings?
If the bamboo plant grows too large, cut a sucker off the main stem, one inch above a node. make sure the sapling has at least two leaf tips. place the cut stem in two inches of water in a container and wait a few weeks for roots to grow. add some small stones in the bowl of water, to balance the plant.
lucky bamboo plant for the home: common forms
two layer lucky bamboo plant
These bamboo plants grow well in bright, filtered sunlight. Most two-layered lucky bamboo plants are usually grown in glass vases filled with pebbles and water, but can also be potted in well-aerated soil.
3 layer lucky bamboo plant
See also: Five Feng Shui Tips to Enhance Healing at Home
This type of bamboo plant is a low maintenance plant that can grow well even in low light and harsh situations. These are the most common houseplants found in Indian homes.
seven layer lucky bamboo plant
This plant is one of the easiest to grow and is primarily used as a gift. ensures good fortune and brings serenity and tranquility to your home and office. It is recommended to use filtered water for seven-layer bamboo plants and change the water every week to prevent root rot.
also read all about 7 running horses painting vastu direction for good luck
bamboo tree for home: elegant lucky bamboo plant
There are many artistic and stylish lucky bamboo plants available now. The stems of the lucky bamboo plant can be twisted or braided into a spiral shape, carefully controlling the amount of sunlight it is exposed to. The lucky bamboo plant can be shaped like a spiral, heart, tower, braid and other designs. The lucky bamboo in the form of a tower helps to attract happiness, a bright future and good opportunities. Braided lucky bamboo is said to attract the growth of your business ventures. the lucky bamboo woven trellis helps eliminate the flow of negative energies.
lucky bamboo plant care: how to care for bamboo plant at home?
Follow these tips to care for bamboo plants:
- lucky bamboo grows well in bright light. can also tolerate lower light levels but will not grow much.
- do not use tap water if water is hard. your lucky bamboo will grow much better with distilled or purified water.
- don’t let your lucky bamboo dry out; keep roots covered with water at all times.
- don’t let lucky bamboo dry out. the water level is too high and make sure only the roots are submerged.
- do not place the lucky bamboo plant near a heating or cooling vent. also, keep it away from cold air.
- don’t let dust accumulate on the leaves, as the plant needs to breathe through its pores. periodically clean leaves with a brush, damp cloth and/or spray water on them.
- tie stems in place with ribbon. this is to ensure there is no chance of your plant falling over due to its own weight.
- If your bamboo outgrows its original container, you may need to transfer it to another container that can hold it.
- To transfer, carefully remove the bamboo plant and wash off any pebbles before transferring to the new pot. add the bamboo plant, carefully burying the roots under the pebbles, to ensure it is completely covered. keep the water level high enough to cover the roots, but not so high that it wets the bamboo stems.
- if your lucky bamboo is growing in the ground, make sure your container has good drainage.
- lucky bamboo plants prefer moist soil, but adding too much water to the soil can have a negative impact on plant growth.
- water soil only when the top inch is dry.
bamboo plant at home: how to prune and prune the plant?
pruning means removing dead branches, as well as shaping the overall plant. trimming is taking care of excess growth to encourage new growth as the plant ages. When the lucky bamboo plant becomes heavy towards the top, with numerous leaves, use sanitized scissors to trim the side shoots back an inch above the base. Carefully cut off the scions and not the main stem. To keep your lucky bamboo healthy and constantly growing, cut it regularly. If any of the shoots look long, thin, or growing in odd shapes, prune them back. this will encourage new growth and also improve its visual appeal.
Lucky bamboo tree for the home: problems, pests and diseases
Some common pests that affect lucky bamboo are mealybugs and fungal infections. If there is gray fuzz on the bamboo plant, it means that it has a fungal infection. remove infected area keep stem and leaves dry.
mealybugs are small white insects that should be removed by rubbing alcohol or neem oil.
Spider mites are very small pests that create a web on the plant and leave black or brown spots on the leaves. If the bamboo plant has been infested with mites, regularly rinse the bamboo plant with cold water. spray a light solution of mild soapy water. use neem oil on the leaves.
yellowing leaves and other problems
Brown spots on bamboo mean there is too much chlorine in the water or too much exposure to sunlight. Moisten the leaves and minimize their exposure to sunlight. use filtered water instead of tap water and keep changing the water often.
according to vastu, the bamboo tree at home should be green. if any part of the leaves or stem is yellow, it means the plant is diseased. such yellow parts must be removed so that it does not spread to the entire plant.
If the plant is grown in a vase that allows sunlight to enter, it can encourage algae growth. be sure to clean the vase regularly with water and a mild dishwashing detergent. You can also keep the plant in an opaque container.
Lucky bamboo tree for the home: tips to decorate your home
- the presence of a lucky bamboo plant can revitalize any space with a touch of greenery.
- you can decorate the lucky bamboo pot or a separate tray with accessories, like pebbles, colored marbles. , decorative rocks, gravel or shells.
- enhance the lucky bamboo space with a meditative Buddha idol, a small fountain, candles or crystal gem tree lamps, to create a relaxing atmosphere.
see also: vastu tips for placing the laughing buddha at home
- Be sure to follow the advice of the vastu bamboo plant when decorating the house.
can you buy your own bamboo plant?
A lot of people may think or wonder if it is okay to buy a lucky bamboo plant for yourself. Bamboo plants are believed to bring luck only if given as a gift and somehow luck will not be passed on if not given as a gift. however, all of these beliefs are false and even if you buy the bamboo tree for your house, it is considered lucky.
frequently asked questions
(with additional input from surbhi gupta and purnima goswami sharma)
See also: 15 Feng Shui Bamboo Flute: Meaning, Placement, Uses Tips